Sedona chapel a tribute

Sedona Chapel of the Holy Cross

Kayla Frost, Arizona Highways 8:50 a.m. MST October 25, 2014

In 1932, sculptor Marguerite Brunswig Staude was imagining a church for modern times when she came across the Empire State Building, still under construction in New York. To her, the building’s major beams looked like a colossal cross — the perfect structure for a church.
“It was an image which would haunt me until it became reality,” she said.
Later, in California, Staude collaborated on the design of that church with Lloyd Wright, son of architect Frank Lloyd Wright. They wanted to build the church in Los Angeles on land owned by the Catholic Church, but the archbishop rejected the concept as too futuristic. In 1937, Hungarian nuns agreed that the church should be built overlooking the Danube River, but the plan was abandoned when World War II erupted.
In 1941, Staude and her husband, Tony, bought Doodlebug Ranch in Sedona as a refuge from a possible attack on the West Coast. When Staude’s parents died, she decided to build the church in their memory.
But Staude didn’t want to build it just anywhere, so she combed the red rocks for the perfect site. A magnificent outcropping more than 200 feet tall caught her attention. Upon closer inspection, Staude found a medical symbol, Rx, painted on the foot of the rocks. It might have been a sign that this was, indeed, the right location — Staude’s parents had run the Brunswig Wholesale Drug Co.
The land belonged to the U.S. Forest Service, which refused to give Staude the permit she needed to forge ahead. So she flew to Washington, D.C., and described her dream to Sen. Barry Goldwater, who convinced the Secretary of the Interior to grant the permit. After Staude got approval from the local diocese, she hired San Francisco architects Anshen & Allen to formally design the chapel.
A concrete-and-glass structure dominated by a 90-foot cross, the chapel was a feat to build. Workers from the William Simpson Construction Co. had to overcome Sedona’s lack of material resources — including water and electricity at the site — and dramatic changes in temperature that affected the building process. The chapel finally opened to much acclaim in 1956, 24 years after Staude first imagined it.
Today, the Chapel of the Holy Cross is one of Sedona’s most beloved landmarks and receives international visitors of all denominations.

Arizona Highways magazine is published monthly. Visit the website at arizonahighways.com. You also can follow the monthly blog at arizonahighways.wordpress.com, on Facebook (/azhighways) and Instagram (@arizonahighways).

780 Chapel Road, Sedona. 928-282-4069, www.chapeloftheholycross.com

Looking for homes for sale in Sedona? Ralph & Tricia Bredahl with Realty One provide real estate expertise in all the Verde Valley including Camp Verde, Clarkdale, Cornville, Cottonwood, and Sedona. For a complete list of Sedona homes for sale fill out the Sedona Realtors contact form. As Sedona Realtors they will listen to your wants and needs, while giving all the information and tools that you need for a successful Real Estate transaction


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.

Sedona Realtors G+

Reprinted by Ralph Bredahl

Sedona's Red Rock Views
Retire to Sedona Top 8 Reasons